Sunday 9 August 2015

Edfest Day 4 - Fringe Stew

It's day 4 and has fringe fatigue settled in already? The shows are beginning to merge together in a big fringey stew. The noodles of one show simmering with the onions of another... What am I going on about? And why is so much of my imagery about food when I'm not a foody person in the slightest. Why so many questions? .....

.... Anyway *ahem*....

It probably doesn't help that all the shows I'm picking are along a similar theme of studying the intricacies and complexities of modern life. Am I drawn to these shows specifically, or is that just a popular theme? I guess relatability is an important ingredient in a shows success ... At least on some level. 

Didn't manage to see many shows today, only but two. This is partly due to my sluggishness in getting out and about this morning and partly because I got chatting instead of reviewing at the dome. It was a very welcome exchange, though - he's a young lad who is also here reviewing and is so driven. Please check out the website he manages www.spiceukonline.com for cultural and entertainment reviews, features, blogs and vlogs. 

Saw a fantastic show earlier this afternoon which I can't say too much about at this point, as its one of my public review reviews. It was called "Every Brilliant Thing" which felt part hilarious comedy show, part motivational seminar. The problem with seeing something that blows you away so early in the day is you might as well just call it a day and start again tomorrow, coz nothing is going to measure up. 

So it was quite a lot later that I went to see Christina Bianco in her solo show (I saw her here last year with Velma Celli). If you don't know who she is, type her name into YouTube. She does brilliant, spot-on impressions of female singers and she's adorable too. 

I was considering ending the day with an immersive show that finished at midnight, but didn't feel in the right headspace to properly appreciate it today, so I'll save that one for another time. 

Instead, I soaked up some fringe atmosphere and wandered amongst the crowds - even in snippets of overheard conversations, there's a certain theatre that can be found. 

No comments:

Post a Comment