Sunday 30 August 2015

Edfest Day 26: And now, the end is near; And so I face the final curtain

Error 404. A problem occurred. Please check the connection and try again.

Connection. Something I've been thinking a lot about. When a connection comes loose on a computer, it simply won't work. When a connection comes loose in life, it may take a while to notice.  Things still move along until one day you realise you're in a bubble and you can see out but can't touch anything. 

Today's Forest Fringe show was about connection. A show that found me. Literally.  The guy in charge had some no-shows and the nature of the show is dependent on participants. You can't connect if nobody's there.

I'm glad it found me. The show is called "Landline" and connects you with a counterpart in Reykjavik through Skype.  A show about connection that requires an Internet connection.

You are given an Ipod and a map and sent off to wander wherever you want in your local area. The participant in Reykjavik is also listening to the same recording, pressing play at the same moment.  We're wandering on different roads but taking the same journey.

The physical distance and relative anonymity gives us the freedom to be completely open with each other. We are prompted to find places that remind us of certain things and then to share that story with our partner.

It does require some quick thinking and an open approach but the gentle voice and the freedom to say exactly what you want... anything. .. makes it so worthwhile and I got a lot out of this experience.

The same cannot be said for the show I saw after my shift, again at zoo venues. Regrets, I've had a few, and one of them was seeing this show. I don't want to waste any more energy on it than I already have, so I'll simply say - stop when you get to the Pleasance courtyard for physical theatre performance featuring superheroes. Avoid the zoo venue just up the road. Although, given that the festival is wrapping up, I suppose that advice is redundant.

There's definitely a sense of finality in the air on this crisp and clear night. The crowds have thinned, the sound of drills can be heard in the distance as get-outs commence. Greenside has disappeared completely, while the BBC is skeletal.
The city and the remaining people in it are sleepy and looking forward to a long, well deserved rest.

I will probably try to fit in a few more shows tomorrow daytime, but doubt there will be a blog post as I'll be getting to bed early to be up at 5am on Tuesday for the bus home... Have I mentioned I'm not a morning person?

I'm pretty happy with how this daily blog went and glad I decided to do it. It's added an extra dimension to this experience. It's going to be weird not ending my day this way... Time to start a journal? 


No comments:

Post a Comment