Monday 4 August 2014

Edin-Bound




I've been a little blog-shy recently; A result of not seeing many shows this year and being busy with other projects (theatre related). I've thrown myself into learning to dance and recently started working with a lovely lady called Victoria who runs a bespoke prop making company here in Wales. She's self-taught, incredibly talented and I'm learning lots from her.

The reason I haven't seen many shows this year, though, is because I decided that this was the year I'd go to the Edinburgh Festival Fringe (or Edinburgh Fringe Festival as it's more commonly known). I've talked about going for years and years but have never made the trek up there. 

I realised that I could end up saying "one day" forever and, as Jonathan Larson would attest, there really is "no day but today"...... so I'm going. I decided to go about 3 months ago and put myself on a bit of a show diet to save myself for this theatrical binge (I've been getting my fix from the tv show "Smash" in the interim, which is great - check it out!) 

I've got a couple of shows booked at the fringe but I didn't want to plan too much as I'm really excited to discover new things that I may not take a chance on normally, which comes from the spontaneity of the moment.

I'm most interested in new writing, musicals (obviously), immersive experiences and shows that use a mix of different storytelling forms (eg. puppetry, film, props). However, in the spirit of taking chances, I'm going with a completely open mind and don't want to tie myself into any particular kind of performance - I'm just going to go with the flow and hopefully discover some gems (even if I have to dig through some garbage to get them ;P) 

The shows I've already booked are Next to Normal at theSpace, Addams Family at Assembly Hall and Generation of Z at Assembly George Square Theatre. I'll also be reviewing 2 shows for thepublicreviews.com

I'll be leaving for the Fringe (very early) tomorrow morning and am there until (very early) Friday morning. As someone who's note a morning person those very early's should be interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment